Monday, October 26, 2009

Green Green Green 2nd cutting Orchard Grass

Today I had to go get some hay. I ended up somewhere in Caroline County. I loaded up 20 bales or so on the truck, without a trailer.

This hay was so green, that it may be not only safe but ideal for human consumption. The alpacas love it. I should have gotten every last bale they had, but I always like to try the hay from someone new before I get a pile of it.

These hay bales are a whopping 60-65 pounds, most of them. I hope it lasts 14-28 days,
as I have some old round bales left still.

Alpaca should eat mostly hay and grass and very little grain despite the fact that they love some grain. We are not eating the alpaca so it is not like feeding grain to cattle you plan on eating. And cattle that is grass fed is better anyways!

No comments: