Monday, January 1, 2007

We went to New Jersey and got our 8 Alpaca

We went to New Jersey and got our 8 Alpacas. The Alpaca didn't seem to mind the ride in the alpaca trailer we bought from Gore Trailers. The Alpacas just sat down and enjoyed the ride I guess.

They were a bit apprehensive about getting into the trailer. When we arrived at Furbelow alpaca farms, I don't think any of them wanted to get out of the trailer.

We led the alpacas 2 at a time to thier new pasture. Luckily we left thier halters on after we loaded them in New Jersey. It was tricky taking the alpcas off 2 at a time especially since we needed to keep the mom's with thier cria. So all 8 alpaca made it to thier new pens.
The 2 male alpacas went in one. And 3 pregnanat female alpacas and 3 young male cria went with them.

I got them some fresh orchard grass. Set up thier heated water buckets and grain feeding bins.
Needless to say as soon as the orchard grass was placed in the shelter before I got back with the water and grain, they had already found the hay and were eating like mad. It was only a 5 hour ride. I guess they were hungry.

They seem to be adjusting well. They have more running room than they had where they came from. In a few weeks I need to wean one of the cria, and in another month I have to wean another cria.

After these 8 alpacas get adjusted, I will bring my herdsire home and another pontentially promising male alpaca.

No comments: